Monday, October 12, 2009

Into the wild, part 1

The first half of the school year has come to an end, which means........VACATION! My plan was basically divided into three parts: 1. Go to Laos to visit a sustainable coffee farm. 2. Go to Isaan Thailand, and tear down, then build a new house. 3. Beach.

Of course, the first step was actually leaving Bangkok. I was trying to work on law school applications, and figured I should get my ulcer taken care of before I went off on my own in the third world....

So Finally, at 10:30 PM, I got on the BTS (Sky train), hoping there would be a bus waiting for me at the bus station....that I thought was at the Mo Chit BTS station. As I walked around the BTS station, I soon realized that the bus station was not AT the Mo Chit stop. I didn't see any taxis around, and figured I would take a moto-cy. Midway through the longer than expected ride.

Usually moto-cy's disregard speed limits, stop-lights, the direction of traffic, sidewalks, and physics. Midway through this ride, I found myself thinking that this was an extra-exciting moto-cy ride. Then I remembered the 50 lb. bag I had on my back.

Since I am alive and writing this, you already know I survived the moto-cy ride. I also managed to catch both the bus and some z's, and got into Ubonratchathani (Thai border city with Laos) at 9:30 the next morning.

In Ubon, I met a very friendly Tuk-Tuk driver, who spoke a decent ammount of english....he showed me an internet cafe, good place to eat, then drove me to a Tesco so I could buy a jacket (I was told Laos might be cold). At the bus station i gave 25% more than the price he gave me....he then asked for a 50% increase....but it left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after what had been a positive experience, but regardless--it wasn't much money, and I was off to Laos!

No comments:

Post a Comment