Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Going Home

Monday was my last day of school. I wrote letters to the future teachers, packed my things, and left Wattana Wittaya Academy for the last time. I feel like I was successful. My goals coming over here were

1. To experience a foreign culture
2. Help some people out.
3. Become a part of a Christian community

I think the experiencing a foreign culture didn't take too much work.....but I adapted to a different living situation, lifestyle, and food, and though I'll be coming out a little thinner, I enjoyed it, and learned a lot about myself and other people. Different environments bring out different parts of who I am.

In terms of helping people out, coming over here, my general idea was that there would be more volunteer opportunities in a developing country like Thailand than in a wealthy country like America. This was definitely true. I was too busy to commit to a weekly project, but at various times I was able to hang out with orphans, teach English to refugees, build a house in the country, sing Christmas Carols in the gay red-light district, and play with kids in the slum. More recently, I've been helping a Sri Lankan refugee and his family who have started attending our church. If you'd like to read his story, and be a part of helping him survive next month, check out the letter I attached.

Perhaps the surprise in all of this was helping my kids out. I came over here with the mentality that I would be teaching rudimentary English to a bunch of spoiled rich kids. I didn't consider my job to be especially praiseworthy. Funny thing is, when you invest and devote yourself to something, even teaching rudimentary English, you start to really care, and really love.

210 Wattana 2nd graders now have a permanent residence in my soul, right next to the guys from TLC, and the Haitians in Ferrier. I'm struggling with how I can ensure my investment does not go to waste. If you want to check out pics of me and my kids, go to www.flickr.com/startstatick

Finally, I've become part of a community--New Song Bangkok. I am a part of this community like I have never been a part of any other. I spend 4-6 days a week with these people. Every single opportunity I've had in Thailand has come through New Song Bangkok. All the volunteer stuff, basketball on Saturdays, sailing in October, visiting the Bolevan plateau in Laos, visiting Chang Rai and Burma....going to Sri Lanka in April---I mean, the list just goes on. I am so grateful I have this comfortable place, only one BTS stop away from my apartment, where I can grow with people.

But more pertinent news: I'm coming home! Today, I booked my ticket. I WILL BE ARRIVING IN DALLAS ON SUNDAY, APRIL 18, AT 8:45 PM. I'm very excited. I'm planning to be in Waco Mon. through Sunday--go to Church Under the Bridge on Sunday, then arrive back in Virginia later on Sunday the 25th, or on Monday the 26th. If you want to hang out let me know--I might try to make a facebook group or something to sort of coordinate stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment