Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Two Additional Important stories from Haiti



The first comes from the short time I worked in the clinic. Since I am entirely devoid of any medical skills, they put me in the pharmacy, where I had the complex job of counting pills, and finding medicine. While I was working/waiting for work, three girls wandered to the back window of the pharmacy. I found them more interesting than the medicine, so I interacted with them some--taking pictures of them, letting them take pictures, and letting them write things in my notebook. I started getting hungry however, and took out a protein bar and started eating it. The girls stared hungrily at my food, and made it very clear that they wanted food. I had some trail mix in my bag, so I gave each of them some.

Game over.

There was no more happy interaction, or desire to play with the camera or notebook. They continued to ask for "pistache, pistache." I had reminded them that they were hungry, and more importantly, that I might give them food. I had to do the hardest thing--not give them food. I refused to make them, and eventually the rest of their friends, beggars. As desperately as I wanted to get rid of my trail mix, I could not become the man who gave them food. (I later entrusted the bag of trail mix to the host, to use as he saw fit)

My second story contrasts with this. Jim is a businessman who, with his wife, Sharon went on this trip with us. He and is wife came three years ago, and have become dedicated to the cause of helping the beautiful children of Haiti. In addition to raising money for the children of Haiti, he and his wife have sponsored at least two children. (Sponsoring covers the cost of going to school, and ensuring they are able to eat while they attend school)

The highlight of my trip might have been seeing the exchange of joy between the them and their two "adopted" Haitian children. Upon their first meeting there was as much or more jubilation as I had ever seen. They were able to see each other throughout the week, and each time was filled with happiness. Even the little things like gifts of english workbooks, bracelets, and time, were permeated with joy. The small ammount of money they spend to send them to school and feed them is really a priceless gift of love, for both. Indeed, I believe Jim and Sharon were even more blessed than their children.

If you would like to go healthy, and replace soda with water and love for a Haitian child, you can send a check for $200 per child to Church Under the Bridge (who helps sponsor a school in Haiti)

P.O.Box 323
Waco, TX 76703

Memo: Haiti school

Jim and his wife work to keep sponsors updated on the progress of their children through e-mail, and you can potentially even visit the children in Haiti. We work through Jackson Nelson, a native Haitian, who is in charge of World Hunger: Haiti, and he has room to fit large groups.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this, and I can put you in touch with the right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment